Saturday, February 16, 2008

Bye-Bye STUFF!



We decided to store all our STUFF in PODs. Very convenient! They truck over a big box, drop it off on your driveway, you fill it up, and they come take it and store it in their warehouse. When we want our STUFF, we just call them and they'll drop off your PODs where you tell them to. We liked this idea much better than renting a truck and storage unit and lugging our STUFF out, in, out, over the hill to Santa Cruz, and in again. (For those that don't know, Santa Cruz is a very twisty, windy road to be driving a truck over.)
But, take a look at all that STUFF!!! That's only one of TWO that we need! (At least, the other one's a smaller size.) And, this is "what we don't use on a daily basis"! Granted, I wouldn't expect to get rid of Sean's surfboard-making tools, garden tools and whatever we use to fix the house. Nor, would I want to get rid of the several boxes of pictures, crafting supplies and, of course, our boards. But still, we are paying for 10 months of storage to keep this STUFF!
All this comes in light of a web presentation that I just received. (Thanks Ian!) It's all about the materials industry. I've read/researched many of the ideas that are in this, but I was really impressed how this emcompasses everything all together. Check it out: http://www.storyofstuff.com/index.html
So, I guess all I can say for myself is that "I'm a work in progress". It'll be interesting how I feel about all this STUFF when we return from our trip....

1 comment:

heather said...

Yeah, I wonder how I'll feel about all my "stuff" too when we get back, but the same thing...I don't want to get rid of this and that. Where does the purging start? What do we really need to live? Aagghhh!!