Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bangkok Part 2


Making Pad Thai on the streets of Bangkok

Floating Market

06.04.08: Kailani woke up with a sniffly nose. I think it’s a cold and hope it’s not because she’s inhaled so much darn exhaust in this city! Needless to say, we’ve been taking it a bit slower the last couple days in Bangkok. Honestly, regardless if she was sick or not, we’d be fine without rushing to see all the sights this city has to offer. And, there ARE lots of sights to see. We’re still having fun just wondering around our neighborhood, mostly when we want to get something to eat. On the sidewalks, in front of the stores are stalls that sell food, clothes, souvenirs, etc. It feels like the city (or at least our area) is a big flea market. We’ve still try to sample all the different street foods. Most dishes are about 25-35 Baht (~$1USD) each. We FEASTED the other night, going to three different stalls where we got soup (simple pork spareribs and greens in broth that reminded me of what my mom used to make), curry (the guy called it mild, Sean considered it HOT), stir-fry noodles, jook (rice congee, one of my favorites) and a roasted lemongrass catfish on a stick. And, we only spent 105 Baht (~$3USD).

But we did do a couple noteworthy things. Something I didn’t get to do last time here was to experience why they call Bangkok “the Venice of the East”. So, we started Thursday by going on a canal boat/ferry. I wanted to make sure Sean and Kailani had their share of seeing Buddha, so we decided our destination would be Wat Traimit in Chinatown to see the Golden Buddha. I don’t see how you can pass up seeing a 3 meter tall, 5.5 ton solid gold Buddha. We followed with another swim session back at the hotel. The next day, we signed up for a tour that took us via bus then long tail boat to the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. It was said that this is the oldest floating market. But really, it caters to tourists these days, selling mostly souvenirs. Still, it was fun and we got a couple new things for Kailani, one being a toy Tuk Tuk. After taking a HUGE nap, she started racing her toy Jeepney against the Tuk Tuk!

Unfortunately, I wish I would have time to do a couple more things: go to the Aw Taw Kaw Market, which sells organically grown fruits and vegetables; take the Sky Train, which wasn’t running last time I was here; or take a yoga class because I found that Absolute Yoga actually offers Anusara classes. But also, five days seems like enough time in such an intense city such as this. Hopefully, there will be a next time!

Other random notes/thoughts: So far in Thailand, I’ve only seen recycling containers today at the Floating Market - pretty much a disappointment. When we have used bottles/cans, we leave them in our hotel room. We HOPE they recycle. It’s a contrast from Hong Kong, where I refused to leave empty containers in the hotel for fear that they’d just throw it away. Most Hong Kong locals carry bags that are probably full of their prized purchases. Instead, I’d carry our recycling around in a bag. I shocked some old guy digging around in the garbage looking for used cans, when I gave him what I had in my bag. In the Philippines, although it was hard to find a garbage can, no less a recycling can, we did find “biodegradable” containers (for composting?) as well as a MRF (Materials Recovery Facility) on Boracay. Unfortunately, the facility is only really used for materials used by the resorts and not by the locals.

It was pleasant, but not too shocking to find biodiesel available in normal gas stations a couple times in Europe. I think we were actually in need of diesel and bought some once or twice. I didn’t expect to find any, but did see it available, also at normal gas stations, a couple times in the Philippines. Today, on the road on the way to the Floating Market, I did look to see if it’s available here. Unfortunately, the signs are all in Thai, so I can’t understand it at all…

Since arriving to Asia, I’ve been using calendula oil to ease itchy mosquito bites. Though it’s not really for that, it is supposed to ease inflammation, which hopefully would ease itching. It’s the only thing I had. While we were with Sean’s Aunty Vicky, we stayed in her guest room/home office. I found a book on her bookshelf. I believe it’s called Jerry Baker’s Garden Tonics. It said that if you rub a wet bar of soap on mosquito bites, they’ll go away faster and get rid of itching. It’s also supposed to work for bee stings to help pull out the stinger. So, I’ve been rubbing soap all over my bites since then. The best thing, we received a couple bars of all natural, botanical Waikoloa Bob’s Insect Repellent soap last Christmas. So now, it’s serving double duty. We rub ourselves with soap before going out to keep those pests from biting, plus ease the itching. It works great! I feel semi-normal again, not itching like a flea-bitten dog. J (OK, now that I just typed that, I went out and got all bit up! Not because it stopped working, but because I probably should have applied another, fresh layer.)

No comments: