Monday, June 2, 2008

Bangkok


Us in the Tuk Tuk

One of the statues at Wat Phra Kaew

One of our favorite food stalls

06.02.08: After leaving Manila on Monday, we had a stop over in Hong Kong just long enough to walk to our connecting flight. Then, we arrived in Bangkok late in the evening and took a taxi directly to our hotel. It’s probably been around10 years since my last whirlwind trip to Thailand and they built a new airport. Even after going through Hong Kong’s, I do have to say it’s quite impressive. I read that, once up to full capacity (which I’m not sure if it is or not yet), it’ll be the largest in Asia. My first impression of Bangkok is that it’s really modernized since I’ve been here last! We were quite worried when the taxi driver looked perplexed as he read the map/address that I gave to him, printed out from the hotel’s web page. Especially because it was two blocks from Khao San Road, which is a big time farang (Westerner) backpacker’s hangout. Aren’t taxi drivers supposed to know where everything is?!? Luckily, I already got a new SIM card for my cell phone at the airport. So, I called Villa Cha Cha and he was able to find out where it was. He kept saying it must be a new place.

The next morning, we wondered around, found somewhere to eat breakfast, stocked up on supplies (water, diapers, etc) and jumped in the hotel’s pool. Villa Cha Cha has a very nicely decorated lobby/restaurant/pool area with lots of Thai and Indonesian decor. Besides think walls, the rooms aren’t half bad either. After reading our guide book, it seems to be a real deal for what you get. As mentioned, it’s a couple blocks from Khao San Rd., which really doesn’t excite me to hang out with a bunch of dreadlocked farangs listening to loud house music. Perhaps, 10 years ago. But back then, I didn’t go to there. But it really is SUCH a feast for the eyes, as well as taste buds, even just walking around the streets on our block. There are food stalls selling all different types of foods, some pre-made like spring rolls, potstickers and curry, and some made right in front of you like pad thai or noodle soups. I even found a stand that made fresh juice…and was excited to have a couple shots of wheatgrass! Of course, there are also lots to buy like cheap clothes, souvenirs, Thai-style decorations and artwork, pirated DVDs/CDs. I took advantage of the shopping and ended up with a couple pieces of cheap clothes (USD $3-6/piece) that, of course, didn’t really fit great when I went back to our hotel to try them on. Sean got a half hour outdoor massage (hand, arm, shoulder, neck and foot) for 120 Bhat (USD $4). It was fun, at least for the first day. I’m sure we won’t be hanging out that much as watching a “freak show” (especially at night) also gets old.

In the afternoon, we took our first tuk tuk ride. I guess a tuk tuk will now replace jeepneys and tricycles as a mode of transportation. They are DEFINITELY faster than a tricycle. I though they only have the equivalent of a scooter/Vespa motor. But when we asked the driver, he said it as a Dihatsu 500 CC engine running off GPL (propane). You could tell he had some tricked-out exhaust. I thought I was going to have blisters on my palms from holding onto the bars so tight. Kai was still in my back carrier and I didn’t want to squish her nor fall out.

We visited The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew, practically a city of temples within its walled grounds. I think there are around 200 buildings, and they are absolutely gorgeous! Basically, we were seeing Catholic cathedrals in Italy, and now Buddhist temples in Thailand. Although I could appreciate the intricate detail and work put into cathedrals, I love the style of the temples. Wat Phra Kaew is also where the Temple of the Emerald Buddha is, which is really made of jade, one huge chunk of it, not from emerald. A short walk next door, we visited Wat Pho where there is a giant, gold reclining Buddha. Almost too big for his building, the 46m long/15m high Buddha illustrates the passing of the Buddha into nirvana (death). I kind of wish that we hired a personal guide, at least for Wat Phra Kaew, but I was too cheap to get one. I found myself very interested in learning more about everything like who are all the different Buddha’s and what they represent, and would have loved to have someone there to explain and ask questions. Although, I’m sure we’ll get the chance to find one at another temple soon.

By mid afternoon, we were completely wet with sweat, especially because you need to dress in appropriate clothes (covered skin) for the temples. So, we jumped into another tuk tuk (easy enough to tell the driver to take us to Khao San Rd.) and went back in the pool. It’s been pretty nice to have a pool to “come home” to! Although still not popping her head above water, Kai’s really becoming comfortable in the water and can hold her breath for quite some time. Our little “surfer-in-the-making” is almost jumping in too fast for comfort and she can paddle her way from me to Sean, or vice versa, standing about 8 feet apart. I was getting tired just watching her swim back and forth without taking any breaks. Needless to say, we took her back out to the streets for some dinner afterwards. Quite honestly, there are so many street stalls around our neighborhood that I’m not sure if we’ll eat at another restaurant in Bangkok again!

No comments: